When the fall fashion catalogs start appearing in the mailbox, clients begin asking me, "How can I accelerate my weight loss?" Here are some tips that will get the results you are looking for:
- Up the intensity of your current exercise routine. Doing the same old routine all the time will not get rid of the inches and rolls. You've got to sweat and work harder! Maybe take up spinning or get on your bicycle and ride those hills. The cool weather and colorful leaves make outside activity glorious.
- Hire a trainer. I know trainers are expensive but so is buying the next size up in clothes. A good trainer will work you harder than you could ever push yourself. Plus weight training is good for your bone density and overall strength. If you are working hard, you should see results within a few weeks.
- Add sprints to your walks. Set a goal. Maybe after five minutes of walking do two minutes of fast running. This is a quick way to up your endurance.
- Cut carbs. For three days at a time cut out all breads, pasta, crackers, alcohol, etc. Then for the next two days add back one to two servings and then repeat the sequence. One serving of carbs equals: 1 slice of bread, 20 Wheat Thins, 1/3 cup of cooked rice or pasta. 4 pieces of sushi, 3 Hershey Kisses, 1/2 English muffin, 1 small baked potato, 1 fruit Popsicle. (See my GoBeFull book for serving sizes @ http://www.gobefull.com/)
- Limit fruit to two servings a day: 2 T. raisins, 1 small apple, 20 grapes, 1/2 cantaloupe, and small mango.
- Eat lean protein: fish, chicken (no skin), turkey (no skin), Cabot 75% reduced fat cheddar cheese, lean beef, and beans.
- Eat tons of veggies.
It hit me the other day as I was walking up the stairs at the gym, dead tired from my workout, that working out hard and eating right is a small price to pay for the energy, enthusiasm, and excitement for life that fills me the rest of the hours of the day.
Mantra for the month: Pump it up!