Sunday, October 25, 2009

Shopping at Target

After my Sunday run to Whole Foods, I stopped by Target. While I don't usually buy groceries there, I decided to browse the aisles. I am happy to report I found some healthful products on the shelves. The next time you are there, you might want to pick up a few. The ones listed below pass the GoBeFull (GBF) test. For those of you who don't recognize GBF, it stands for eight keys to health and fitness:
Greens
Olive oil (and other healthy fats)

Beans
Exercise

Fruit
Unrefined grains (and other healthful carbs)
Lean protein
Labels

Greens
The Target I went to does not carry produce but they did have some frozen veggies that could work in a pinch. Just check the salt content. Here are some tomato products that are high in antioxidants:
Archer Farms Roasted Garlic Pasta Sauce
Archer Farms Salsa
Classico Sauce
Muir Glen Tomato Products
Newman's Own Sauce
Pace Salsa
Rao's Tomato Basil Sauce

Olive oil
I use the words "Olive oil" to mean healthful fats. The products I am recommending do not have any Trans fats. Monounsaturated fats like almonds, pistachios, olive oil and canola oils are the ones I like best; I prefer cold pressed. The products mentioned contain mostly mono fats but some have polyunsaturated fats, like soybean oil, cottonseed oil, and safflower oil, which are less preferable. Unlike mono fats which can reduce inflammation in the body, polyunsaturated fats or Omega-6-fats can increase inflammation.
Archer Farms Cashew Cranberry Almond Blend
Archer Farms Dry Roasted Pistachios
Archer Farms Raw Almonds
Emerald Cocoa Roasted Almonds
Land O Lakes Spreadable Butter

Beans
Bush's Vegetarian Baked Beans
Bush's Black Beans
Kashi Black Bean Mango Frozen Entree

Exercise
Grocery shopping burns calories! Next time I will check out the exercise equipment and report back.

Fruit
No fresh produce.

Unrefined Grains
While some of these products are 100% whole grain, others are made from unbleached flour or a mixture of unbleached and 100% whole grain. I did not include any products with bleached flour. Bleached and unbleached both have had the germ and the bran removed. Bleached means they treat the flour with powerful bromine bleaches and should be avoided.
Amy's Pizzas
Archer Farms Arrabbiata Whole Wheat Penne Rigate
Archer Farms Blueberry and Multigrain Pancake Mix
Archer Farms Flaxseed Waffles
Archer Farms Spinach and Goat Cheese Frozen Pizza
Alexa's Spicy Sweet Potatoes
Ronzoni Healthy Harvest Pasta
Kim and Scott's Gourmet Frozen Pretzels
Kashi 7 Grain Waffles

Gluten Free Products
Midel Crackers
Bob's Red Mill
Annie's
Nature's Path

Lean Protein
I only like to buy hormone-free meats and poultry which Target does not carry. I did not see any tofu. I saw lots of products made with textured vegetable but generally try to avoid those too.
Silk Soy Milk
Cabot Omega 3 DHA Cheese

Labels
Read them any time your food comes in a box or a container! Look for fiber - you need 35 grams per day; look for unrefined grains; healthy monounsaturated and Omega-3-fats and no Trans fats; avoid foods with lots of preservatives.

Happy Shopping.














No comments:

Post a Comment