Monday, December 14, 2009

Life is Short - Eat Some Chocolate

Some recent tragic, unexpected deaths have left the Health Nut feeling philosophic. Life's transiency is on my mind. The temporary nature of it all makes me realize how important it is to live for today yet still have an eye towards the future (just in case we make it until a ripe old age.)

Before I continue, I just need to say that my heart goes out to all my friends and their families who have been devastated by the recent loss of loved ones. May their memories give you strength and sustain you through these difficult times.

Death makes me question life. After I ask, "What's the point if in the end we are lying with our friends sleeping in the dust?" I am most often filled with a reaffirmation and a commitment to make each day the best it can be. For me that means to love my family and friends, do what I am willing to do to repair the world, and stay true to my beliefs.

Which leads me to why I still think it is worth it, even in the face of our eventual extinction, to eat well. I believe that eating well makes each day better because we are functioning at a level that allow us the energy to be our best and tackle what is our chosen earthly mission. Plus eating low on the food chain and more plant based is good for the planet.

Hopefully if we take care of ourselves on a daily basis, we will be more independent and less of a burden on our families as we age. Plus I want to be kicking up my heels and howling at the moon as long as possible and that requires being steady on my feet and having my faculties.

Will I regret not eating French fries, sometimes avoiding Godiva chocolate, or drinking less red wine when my final moments come? Maybe. But I strive while I am here to strike a balance between indulgence and sensibility where I can literally "have my cake and eat it too."

I think you only have to do enough of the right things to create homeostasis or equilibrium where your body, mind, and spirit all function in harmony. A bit of nourishment on all levels creates balance. For each person it will be a different mixture. And just like junk food binges, we all have moments or months or even years of being out of whack. Life is for figuring it all out.

So for this Health Nut, being a little less spontaneous and more focused on healthy eating actually allows me more spontaneity in other areas my life because I have the energy and desire to be ready for what comes my way. Does that make sense? Maybe about as much as one day we won't be around.

No comments:

Post a Comment